Pre-employment drug screening
As part of our pre-employment checks, we undertake drug screening.
This is conducted by an external company called Concateno on our behalf. It is carried out onsite at Nottinghamshire Police Headquarters, Sherwood Lodge, Arnold.
Drug misuse is defined as any circumstance, in which an individual’s consumption of drugs, whether continual or intermittent, causes physical, psychological or social impairment or harm to the individual or others.
Drug screening refers to the analysis of biological materials to detect the presence or absence of drugs within the human body.
The process involves samples of hair being collected and analysed to determine whether any of the following six core substances are present
- Cannabinoids (cannabis)
- Amphetamines (including ecstasy)
- Opiates (eg. morphine and heroin)
Before this you will be required to complete a consent form to confirm that
- you consent to the screening taking place
- you accept that a positive screening will be recorded on your medical file (if applicable)
- you have declared if you have taken any medicines within the period relevant to the history
- you consent to results (positive or negative) being passed onto the Resourcing department team responsible for your application
- you understand that a positive result could affect a successful application.
Please note any candidate who refuses to sign the consent form will have their application terminated.
All new police officer recruits will have to have these samples taken as part of the recruitment process. This forms part of the pre-employment checks which are also subject to the outcome of satisfactory employment references, attendance management, medical and security vetting checks.