Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Your Views

Influence policing in your area

Share by emailShare by email

With our Neighbourhood Priority Survey, you can have your say about what issues are important to you and what you want your Neighbourhood Policing Team to focus on.

It allows you to tell us what is happening in your area and when, and what issues we should focus on tackling.

You can fill it in as often as you think necessary, but bear in mind that the responses are collected and analysed every three months.

Every three months, a report is sent to the Inspector for your neighbourhood telling them what people in the area want to be the priorities for local police.

They will call a public meeting where the top three priorities for the Neighbourhood Policing Teams will be discussed and set. 

They will also present the survey data and crime information for the previous three months to help the decision-making process.

Details of the priorities that have been agreed for your area will be added to your neighbourhood page along with information about what your Neighbourhood Policing Team will do to address the priorities. 

What we have done will be discussed at the next three-monthly meeting, giving you the chance to hold us to account.

What you tell us does make a difference so please take the time to go online and tell us what matters to you.


How to complain

Share by emailShare by email

If you feel that a Police employee, in whatever role, has not met the high standards you should expect from us, you have a right to make a complaint. Listed below are a variety of ways in which you can contact us to make a complaint.

We take all complaints seriously and will listen to you to find a fair and balanced way to seek to put things right:

  • In person: Visit your nearest police station or any police station in Nottinghamshire. A front counter enquiry officer, a police officer or a member of police staff will speak to you about your complaint and will explain your options on how to proceed with making a complaint.
  • By telephone: Ring 101 and speak to one of our customer service advisors.
  • By email: Email our Professional Standards Directorate. This is the team that records complaints and determines who should investigate the matter, the priority being to resolve your complaint with you. Email psd@nottinghamshire.pnn.police.uk
  • By post: Put your complaint in writing to Professional Standards Directorate, Police Headquarters, Sherwood Lodge, Arnold, Nottingham, NG5 8PP
  • Online: If you wish to make a complaint online, you can download and complete the online form and submit it to us.

If you require any of our forms in a different format or language or you have a disability and require us to make special arrangements in order for you to make your complaint please contact us at  psd@nottinghamshire.pnn.police.uk

When should I complain?

There is no time limit for making a complaint, although you should try to do it as quickly as possible. The police can decide not to deal with a complaint if it is received more than 12 months after the incident. If you are complaining more than 12 months after an incident you should explain why your complaint has been delayed. 

How will my complaint be dealt with?

Once your complaint is received and recorded it will be dealt with in one of two ways:

  • Local resolution: .A local manager will contact you to discuss
    your complaint, will update
    you with progress and will do all they can to resolve the issue to your
    satisfaction. This may involve us explaining, apologising, or
    otherwise satisfying you that appropriate action is being taken. Please
    note that local resolution cannot result in misconduct proceedings being
    taken against an officer or member of police staff.

You will receive a letter from us explaining what the local resolution
is, and information about your right to appeal if you are unhappy with
the outcome. Our appeals section explains more about the grounds for

  • Investigation: If your complaint is not suitable for local
    resolution, an investigation will be carried out by an appointed officer
    within the Professional Standards Directorate. We will explain to you
    how your complaint will be investigated, how a decision will be reached
    and what action will be taken at the end of the investigation. You will
    also be supplied with the a report of the investigation. There may be
    action even if the investigation does not find in your favour.

You will receive a letter explaining what the local investigation found,
and information about your right to appeal if you are unhappy with the
outcome. Our appeals section explains more about the grounds for appeal.

What happens if I am not satisfied with the outcome of my complaint?

If, at the conclusion of the Local Resolution process or the investigation by the Professional Standards Directorate you are still dissatisfied you have a right of appeal. A letter informing you of the outcome of the complaint will tell you how you can appeal.

How to make a complaint to the IOPC?

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) oversees the police complaints system in England and Wales and sets the standards by which the police should handle complaints.

The IOPC does not have the power to record a complaint, therefore your initial complaint should be made directly to us using the options outlined above.

If you raise a complaint to the IOPC, it must, by law, be forwarded back to the force involved for consideration.

The IOPC will only conduct independent investigations into incidents that cause the greatest level of public concern.

A copy of the complaints form in easy read, large print, foreign languages is available on the IOPC website. See the video below to watch a British Sign Language video about making a complaint.

Useful websites and information

British Sign Language Video on making complaints


Say thank you

Share by emailShare by email

Say 'thank you' if you think we have fulfilled or exceeded our service promise to you.

You can say 'thank you' using our online form and indicating whether you would like your message to be posted online or not.

Please note that this email address should not be used to report an incident, crime or other emergency.

You can also see a selection of thank you messages are posted on our website.


Subscribe to Your Views