We'll soon have a new website - Take a look and try out our new website experience

Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Cannabis: Putting a stop to illegal drugs

Share by emailShare by email

The law

Cannabis is a Class B drug. Possession of a Class B drug is punishable by up to five years in prison, an unlimited fine or both.

Supply of cannabis is punishable by up to 14 years in prison, an unlimited fine or both. Police can also issue a warning or an on-the-spot fine of £90 if you’re found with cannabis.

Not in my neighbourhood

Nottinghamshire Police is committed to robustly investigating crime associated with cannabis in its bid to protect the public.

Those who choose to grow cannabis at home must consider the impact and potential risks involved – not only to themselves and their own property, but also the wider neighbouring community.

While some of these offences involve cannabis being produced illegally, a large number relate to innocent members of the community who suffer as a result of offenders targeting the wrong property.

Nottinghamshire Police is asking members of the community to look out for signs that cannabis growers are active in their neighbourhood.

Not In My Neighbourhood shows the dangers posed by residential cannabis factories and gives advice on action to take. 

Signs that could point to a cannabis cultivation include:

  • Strong, sickly smell given off by cannabis plants.
  • High levels of condensation.
  • Constantly covered or blocked off windows.
  • Cannabis growing equipment transported to and from house.
  • External modifications to the property, like ventilation.
  • Constant buzz of ventilation.
  • People loitering.
  • Strong and constant lighting day and night.
  • Unsociable coming and going at all hours.
  • Lots of power cables.

Advice for landlords and letting agents

If you own or let a property you need to be aware of your responsibility to ensure cannabis is not grown on your premises.

Consequences of allowing cannabis cultivation include reduction in property values, increased insurance premiums, hostile tenants, and up to 14 years imprisonment and a criminal record.

Use the guide below to understand your rights and responsibilities.

Working together

Nottinghamshire Police is working with its partners to help put a stop to cannabis cultivation.

Our partners include:


Share by emailShare by email

101 is the number to call when you need to contact Nottinghamshire Police and it’s less urgent than a 999 call. Calls are free, no matter how long the call lasts.

Share by emailShare by email

999 is the number to call when you want to contact us in an emergency and an immediate police response is necessary.

999 is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Share by emailShare by email

Citizens Advice Bureau provide free, confidential and independent advice on a range of issues including debt, benefits, housing, immigration, consumer rights, employment.

Share by emailShare by email

Crimestoppers is not the police - it's an independent charity helping to find criminals and solve crimes.

Give information anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Share by emailShare by email

Framework can help if you have problems with the tenancy of your home, understanding housing rights and responsibilities, resolving problems with neighbours and other housing issues. They have support workers to help you find the right housing support service for you and your family. 

Tel: 0800 066 5356

Share by emailShare by email

A unique partnership made up of Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire Police functions, drawing on civil tools and powers and a support network of specialists, all working towards a safer and cleaner city. Tel: 0115 915 2020

Share by emailShare by email

We are a partnership resource, from a broad spectrum of agencies, with the aim of tackling crime, drugs and antisocial behaviour issues.

Share by emailShare by email

Make a stand against violence. ‘Like’ our Alliance Against Violence Facebook page

Share by emailShare by email

Tel: 0300 500 80 80 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 8am to noon)

Share by emailShare by email

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service (NFRS) looks after more than one million people who live, work, visit or travel through our county every day. 

Share by emailShare by email

Nottinghamshire's Police and Crime Commissioner is responsible for holding the Chief Constable to account for the force's performance.

Share by emailShare by email

Tel: 0115 981 9911 (8am-6pm Monday to Friday)

Email: customerservices@rushcliffe.gov.uk

Share by emailShare by email

A national charity that gives free and confidential help to victims of crime, witnesses, their family, friends and anyone else affected. 

It also speaks out as a national voice for victims and witnesses and campaigns for change.

Tel: 0845 3030 900