Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Apply for a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate

Share by emailShare by email

Information about the requirements for owning a firearm or shotgun and advice on applying for a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate.

Changes to Firearms and Shotgun Certificate applications

From 1 July 2019, Nottinghamshire Police will no longer accept GRANT applications for shotgun and firearms certificates without a medical verification form signed by your GP.

Also, from 1 August 2019 no renewal applications for firearms and shotgun certificates will be accepted without the accompanied medical verification form signed by your GP.

More information about how these changes affect your application are available on the Firearms, shotguns and explosives licensing web page, along with a template for requesting for this information from your GP.

Apply for a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate

Form 201 should be used for all applications for a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate. The form should be printed-off and returned to the address provided as a physical copy of your signature is required with your application. Guidance on how to complete this form is available within Form 201:

Please note that Nottinghamshire Police will not accept previous versions of the Firearms and Shotgun Application Form for any application made after 1 June 2016.

Requesting authority to shoot over land

Please use the Nominated Land or Home Office Approval Club Form to seek permission to shoot over land. You will need to include details of the Home Office-approved club you are affiliated to:

What you’ll need to provide with your application

  • Four passport-sized photographs with one photograph signed by you. You no longer need to have a photograph ‘endorsed’ by another individual as this requirement has been abolished.
  • Details of two referees for a Firearm Certificate and one referee for Shotgun Certificate.
  • A cheque for the current amount, payable to ‘Notts PCC’. The current list of prices is available online.

When you will need to apply for a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate

A Firearm Certificate is needed for you to possess, buy or acquire a firearm or shotgun. You must also have a certificate to buy ammunition:

  • It is a criminal offence to possess a firearm or shotgun without a current certificate.
  • It is a criminal offence to fail to comply with any condition shown on a firearm or shotgun certificate.
  • If you make any false statement in an application for a firearm or shotgun certificate you could be prosecuted.

When you will need a Firearm Certificate

Owners must hold a firearms certificate for all firearm or ammunition, except for:

  • A shotgun which can be held on a Shotgun Certificate.
  • An air weapon, unless declared especially dangerous.
  • Prohibited weapons such as centre fire self-loading rifles, handguns, machine guns etc, unless specifically authorised.

When you will need a Shotgun Certificate

A Shotgun Certificate is required for any shotgun defined by Section 1(3)a of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended), defined as:

  • A smooth bore gun (not being an air weapon).
  • Having a barrel not less than 24’’ (60.96cm) in length and a bore not exceeding 2’’ (5.08cm) in diameter.
  • Either having no magazine, or a non-detachable magazine incapable of holding more than two cartridges;
  • Not a revolver gun.

What happens next?

Once Nottinghamshire Police has received your application, a member of our Firearms Licensing team will contact you as soon as possible to request any further information and to arrange to visit you. Please note that any missing or incorrect information may lead to delays processing your application.

If you need to make a change to your Firearm Certificate, you can do so by downloading the Form 201v form.

Advice for clubs

The latest Home Office guidance for clubs in respect to Renwal and Grant of Home Office approval is also available on the below links: