We'll soon have a new website - Take a look and try out our new website experience

Text Size

Current Size: 100%

What to do if you come into possession of a firearm

Share by emailShare by email

Advice on what to do if you unexpectedly become the owner of a firearm.

Discovering firearms when you move house

If you discover firearms, explosives or ammunition in a house you move into do not attempt to handle them, as they may be loaded and dangerous, please call us on 101.

Apply for a temporary permit

If you unexpectedly become the owner of a firearm, you may be eligible to be issued a temporary permit pending your application for a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate.

The temporary permit will allow you to possess the firearm(s) while you legally dispose of them or place them in storage with a registered firearms dealer or with someone who has a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate.

To apply for a temporary permit, please contact Nottinghamshire Police by emailing hqcj.firearms@nottinghamshire.pnn.police.uk