We'll soon have a new website - Take a look and try out our new website experience

Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Report hate crime: What to do if you experience this

Share by emailShare by email

I have been a victim of hate crime, what should I do?

Report it by:

When you report a hate crime we will arrange for an officer to come and see you at a time and place to suit you:

  • Tell us if you think it is a hate crime and why.
  • Get the name and number of the officer you speak to. This will be useful if you need to contact him or her again. Also make sure you take a note of your crime number.
  • Keep a record of what we do and tell you as your case progresses.
  • Use diary sheets that can be given to you by the officer in your case to keep a record of any incidents that have affected you. This will help you to remember details accurately if you need to make a statement later.
  • Don't touch anything the offender might have been in contact with or that may have blood or saliva on it. This can include clothes, weapons, letters, leaflets. We may be able to use these to identify the offender.
  • Ask the officer in your case for photographs to be taken of anything that shows what happened, or take photographs yourself. For exmaple, of damage to your property or vehicle, graffitti etc. Photographs could later be used as evidence.
  • If there are any witnesses get their names and contact details (address and telephone number). Ask them to write down what they saw or heard and sign it.
  • If you're injured make sure you see a doctor or visit a hospital and get any visible injuries are photographed. Show these to us.
  • Keep a record of any expenses you incur, for example public transport fares to hospital, loss of earnings from being off work, because you may be able to claim compensation.

Report hate crime online

Provided by the Association of Chief Police Officers, the True Vision website allows victims of hate crime, or those who are concerned about someone else who is subjected to abuse or violence, to report it without having to pick up the telephone or go into a police station.

The website also has lots of information for victims about what hate crime is and the many ways it can be reported. 

Go to the Reporting Online section of the website and choose Nottinghamshire from the drop-down menu. Type in the details of the incident. Once you have done that, the report will be sent directly for our officers to deal with.

Share by emailShare by email

101 is the number to call when you need to contact Nottinghamshire Police and it’s less urgent than a 999 call. Calls are free, no matter how long the call lasts.

Share by emailShare by email

True Vision is here to give you information about hate crime or incidents and how to report it. You can find out what hate crimes or incidents are, how to report them, including using the online form and find people that can help and support you. Email True Vision enquiries@report-it.org.uk