We'll soon have a new website - Take a look and try out our new website experience

Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Report a wildlife crime

Share by emailShare by email

Information on what constitutes a wildlife crime and advice on how to report a wildlife crime to Nottinghamshire Police.

What is a wildlife crime?

  • Hare coursing
  • Deer poaching
  • Fish poaching
  • Badger persecution, including baiting, snaring, shooting and the disturbance of setts.
  • Bat persecution, including the destruction of habitat and roosting sites
  • Egg theft/collection
  • Bird of prey persecution through poisoning, trapping, shooting, disturbance of nest and/or theft of chicks.
  • The disturbance of breeding birds  and nest destruction
  • The trade in ivory, tortoises, rhino horn and other protected species covered by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) including caviar, traditional Chinese medicines and orchids.
  • Non-registration of certain birds and animals that require licensing through DEFRA/Animal Health if kept in captivity or sold.
  • Offences relating to the introduction and sale on non-native invasive species (flora and fauna)

What information we’ll need from you

When reporting a wildlife crime, we ask that you provide as much information as possible on:

  • Any people involved in the incident, including descriptions of their appearance and clothing.
  • Any vehicles involved or seen in the vicinity at the time of the incident, including details of the vehicle make, model and registration number.
  • Any other animals – including dogs – involved in the incident.

Report a wildlife crime

Please call Nottinghamshire Police using the 101 non-emergency number or, in an emergency where there is an immediate threat to life or property, call 999.