We'll soon have a new website - Take a look and try out our new website experience

Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Parking advice if you live near a school

Share by emailShare by email

We want to let you know what the parking rules are and how we can help to keep the highway clear and ensure the area is safe for pedestrians (especially children), cyclists and drivers.

Parking rules

The road outside your house is usually defined as a 'public highway'. Therefore anyone can legitimately park there but should do so safely, considerately and legally. The introduction of the Traffic Management Act 2004 places a statutory duty on your council to tackle congestion and disruption on the road network.

Your local authority manages the highway network in a manner that allows for some “on street parking”. In areas where parking becomes problematic the authority has the power to introduce restrictions to control the highway use.

Therefore, this means, the highways’ sole purpose is for the free passing and free flowing of vehicles and the areas close to your home are not for your exclusive use to park.

Frequently asked questions

What can be done about people parking on single or double lines or keep clear markings?

If there are road markings, such as single or double yellow lines, both parking and waiting to pick up school children are restricted.

Responsibility for enforcing these restrictions lies with the Civil Enforcement Officer, employed by either Nottingham City Council or Nottinghamshire County Council depending on where you live. Nottinghamshire Police cannot enforce these restrictions.

School 'keep clear' markings should always be kept clear of all traffic. Please let your Police Community Support Officer or Civil Enforcement Officer know if you see a vehicle regularly parking on them.

What can be done if someone blocks my driveway?

If your driveway is completely blocked by a vehicle, the offence of 'obstruction' could be considered. However, obstruction is a complicated offence to prosecute.

It is not enough that a vehicle blocks your driveway. The obstruction has to be ‘actual’ not ‘perceived’. This means that you are actually obstructed at that moment by that vehicle because your immediate passage is blocked. It’s not enough that you might want to use your driveway some time in the future.

A police officer is the only one who can deal with an obstruction. PCSOs do not have legal powers to deal with this issue. You have to be willing to make an official complaint, maybe a statement of evidence and even go to court if the person getting the ticket decides to contest it.

Dropped crossings in the City Council area can be enforced by the City Civil Enforcement Officers.

How can we help you?

The PCSO responsible for your area can liaise directly with the school and put an item in the school newsletter asking parents to consider residents when visiting the school and park with consideration. Our PCSOs can also write a letter to individuals who park dangerously and inconsiderately near your home.

PCSOs and Civil Enforcement Officers from your council will regularly patrol the area outside the school at drop off and pick up times and deal with any issues.

However, due to operational commitments they can’t be outside every school every day.

The good news

Everyone is concerned about the safety of children and, even though the school gate problems can look severe, it doesn't mean children and other pedestrians are in danger.

Parked cars act like mobile traffic calming measures and slow down the traffic when the children are about.

The problem outside school only occurs for very short periods of time during term-time only. The school is part of the community just as you are as a resident.

By working to support improved communication between you, the school staff and the children and their parents, we hope this will enable everyone to understand the problem from the other’s point of view.

When and who to call

When a vehicle is blocking your driveway and you are unable to get in and out of your own property, please call Nottinghamshire Police on 101.

Your local council Civil Enforcement Officers would like to hear from you if vehicles have been left unattended on single or double yellow lines.