We'll soon have a new website - Take a look and try out our new website experience

Text Size

Current Size: 100%

How to complain

Share by emailShare by email

If you feel that a Police employee, in whatever role, has not met the high standards you should expect from us, you have a right to make a complaint. Listed below are a variety of ways in which you can contact us to make a complaint.

We take all complaints seriously and will listen to you to find a fair and balanced way to seek to put things right:

  • Online: If you wish to make a complaint online, you can download and complete the online form and submit it to us.
  • In person: Visit your nearest police station or any police station in Nottinghamshire. A front counter enquiry officer, a police officer or a member of police staff will speak to you about your complaint and will explain your options on how to proceed with making a complaint.
  • By telephone: Ring 101 and speak to one of our customer service advisors.
  • By email: Email our Professional Standards Directorate. This is the team that records complaints and determines who should investigate the matter, the priority being to resolve your complaint with you. Email psd@nottinghamshire.pnn.police.uk
  • By post: Put your complaint in writing to Professional Standards Directorate, Police Headquarters, Sherwood Lodge, Arnold, Nottingham, NG5 8PP

If you require any of our forms in a different format or language or you have a disability and require us to make special arrangements in order for you to make your complaint please contact us at  psd@nottinghamshire.pnn.police.uk

The process by which my complain will be dealt

Once your complaint has been received you will be contacted by one of our dedicated Complaints Support Officers who will endeavour to assist you in rectifying your complaint.  If they are unable to provide you with a satisfactory solution then it will be allocated to a member of the PSD who will record your complaint and it will then be dealt with in one of two ways:

  1. Reasonable and Proportionate Handling (RPH): A Sergeant will contact you to discuss your complaint, will update you with the progress of the same and will again do all that they can to ascertain what has happened that has led to your complaint to Nottinghamshire Police.  They will then do all they can to resolve your issues.  This may involve us explaining, apologising or otherwise satisfying you that appropriate action is being taken.  Please note that this process cannot result in disciplinary (Misconduct/ Gross Misconduct Proceedings being taken against an officer or a member of police staff.
    You will receive a letter from the Sergeant explaining what action has been taken and will include information as to your right of a review if you remain unhappy with this outcome.  This will advise you whether the review body will be the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) or the Independent office for police conduct.
  2. Investigation:  If your complaint is not suitable for Reasonable and Proportionate Handling, an investigation will be carried out by an appointed officer within the Professional Standards Directorate. Again, contact will be made with you and you will be provided with information as to how your complaint will be investigated.  This will also include how this complaint has been assessed and what decisions have been reached to determine the outcome of your complaint;  this will then inform you what, if any, action has been taken in relation to any officer or police staff member.  You will be provided with a copy of the investigative report and informed of your rights if you remain dissatisfied.

How to make a complaint to the IOPC

Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) oversees the police complaints system in England and Wales and sets the standards by which the police should handle complaints.

The IOPC does not have the power to record a complaint, therefore your initial complaint should be made directly to us using the options outlined above.

If you raise a complaint to the IOPC, it must, by law, be forwarded back to the force involved for consideration.

The IOPC will only conduct independent investigations into incidents that cause the greatest level of public concern.

A copy of the complaints form in easy read, large print, foreign languages is available on the IOPC website. See the video below to watch a British Sign Language video about making a complaint.

The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner will also direct your complaint to Nottinghamshire Police for oversight in the first instance.

Once an investigation has been conducted you may refer your complaint for a review to the relevant review body.  Depending on the complaint this will either be reviewed by the IOPC or the OPCC.  You will be informed in writing as to which is the review body for the purposes of your complaint.  They will then perform an independent review if required.

Useful websites and information