Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Incidents involving dogs

Share by emailShare by email

Everyone is responsible for the welfare of dogs.

If you believe a dog is being neglected or abused, you have a duty of care toward the animal and should report this.

In the first instance, the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA). Alternatively, call your local district council or report this to Nottinghamshire Police on 101.

Use this checklist to find the right organisation to contact if you want to report an issue with a dog.

Nottinghamshire Police

  • Dangerous dogs
  • If you've been bitten by a dog
  • If you've hit a dog with a vehicle
  • If you suspect someone has a banned breed of dog, for example, a pitbull terrrier
  • If you want to report your dog lost

To report an issue with a dog to Nottinghamshire Police, call us on 101.

Your local council's dog warden service

  • Stray dogs
  • Lost dogs
  • Found dogs

Find out the details of your local council's dog warden service by selecting the name of your local council from the list on this page.


  • Mistreatment of dogs including abandonment, abuse and neglect

Contact the RSPCA's 24-hour cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.

101 is the number to call when you need to contact Nottinghamshire Police and it’s less urgent than a 999 call. Calls cost 15p, no matter how long the call lasts.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) is the leading UK animal welfare charity specialising in rescue, animal welfare and preventing animal cruelty. Call their 24-hour cruelty line: 0300 1234 999.