Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Abuse and violence

Information if you or someone you know is experiencing abuse or violence

Supporting survivors of domestic abuse

Share by emailShare by email

Every day, people suffering domestic abuse find the strength and courage to leave their abusive relationship.

If you're suffering any kind of domestic abuse, whether it's physical, emotional, financial, sexual or psychological, there are many organisations working together in Nottinghamshire who can help

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality.

It also includes financial abuse, social isolation and issues of concern to black and minority ethnic and refugee communities, including ‘honour based violence’, female genital mutilation and forced marriage. 

Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions on domestic abuse, the services and support we can offer to you and how others have survived and moved on from abusive relationships.

The White Ribbon campaign

Nottinghamshire Police supports the White Ribbon Campaign which calls for an end to domestic abuse in all its forms by encouraging men everywhere to be one of the men who will never, ever allow domestic abuse to happen unchecked.  You can make your pledge online via the White Ribbon campaign website.


Domestic abuse: Who else can help me?

Share by emailShare by email

These organisations can support you and help you to find safety from your abuser.

Share by emailShare by email

Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people experiencing domestic abuse.

Share by emailShare by email

The project challenges domestic violence and abuse by increasing society's awareness of violent and abusive behaviour and offers support to all women experiencing domestic violence in the Broxtowe borough. 

Tel: 01773 719111

Share by emailShare by email

Equation (formerly known as the Nottinghamshire Domestic Violence Forum) works across Nottinghamshire to reduce and prevent domestic violence.

24-hour helpline: 0808 800 0340

Equation also runs the Respect not fear website for younger people which offers help, advice and links to support.

Share by emailShare by email

Government information on domestic abuse, where to get help and your rights.

Share by emailShare by email

Men's Advice Line is a confidential helpline for male victims of domestic violence and abuse. 

It offers emotional support, practical advice and information on a wide range of services for further help and support.

Share by emailShare by email

A registered charity, based in Nottinghamshire, that has given refuge, advice and support to thousands of women and children since 1976. 

Its refuge can offer accommodation for up to seven women, with or without children. Tel: 01159 257647

Share by emailShare by email

Newark Women’s Aid provides safe accommodation, with associated support services, for women with or without children, who are living with or have experienced any form of physical, sexual, emotional, psychological or economic abuse. Tel: 01636 679687

Share by emailShare by email

A unique partnership made up of Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire Police functions, drawing on civil tools and powers and a support network of specialists, all working towards a safer and cleaner city. Tel: 0115 915 2020

Share by emailShare by email

NIDAS is a registered charity, formerly known as Mansfield and Ashfield Women's Aid. 

Its aim is to help people experiencing domestic abuse. 

They work hard with other agencies to raise awareness of domestic abuse and help prevent people from becoming victims of crime.

Share by emailShare by email

Nottinghamshire Women's Aid provides an extensive range of services for women, young people and children.

Share by emailShare by email

This charity can find a temporary home for your pets while you are living in temporary accommodation.

Tel: 0115 934 8487 or 07971 337 264

Share by emailShare by email

You can contact the 24 hour freephone DV helpline for Nottinghamshire, which is run by WAIS (Women's Aid Integrated Services), on 0808 800 0340 - this is open 7 days a week.

Help is also available from Equation (guidance and support for men) - Tel: 0115 9605556

Share by emailShare by email

Shine aims to reduce the risks of domestic abuse and homelessness by supporting women to live independently and safely.

Share by emailShare by email

At Nottinghamshire Victim CARE we recognise people have different needs when trying to cope and recover from the impact of crime. Our service is free, confidential and completely independent. It is open to all residents of Nottinghamshire and you do not need to report the incident or crime to the police to get help.

We believe every single victim has a right to be heard and their needs looked after. We recognise that experiencing a hate incident or a hate crime can be a particularly frightening experience as you have been targeted because of who you are (or who your attacker thinks you are).

We provide a service that offers as much time as you need to recover. We will listen to you in confidence and can provide information, practical help (for example, advocacy with police and other agencies) and guidance. You will be offered a dedicated caseworker to support you for as long as you need.

We can help you to cope with the emotional effects of hate incidents and hate crimes as well as support you and other members of your family. We can give you information about the police and court procedures as well as support you with your dealings with other agencies.

Our mission is to provide whatever support you need to help you cope and recover from your ordeal.

Email: admin@nottsvictimcare.org.uk

Call: 0800 304 7575 (free phone number - lines are open between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday, and 9am and 5pm on Saturdays)

Twitter: @NottsVictimCare

Facebook: www.facebook.com/NottsVictimCare

Share by emailShare by email

Women's Aid is a national domestic violence charity that helps up to 250,000 women and children every year. 

It works to end violence and support over 500 domestic and sexual violence services across the country.

Share by emailShare by email

Our 24 hour domestic and Sexual Violence Helpline offers support to women, teenage girls and children who have been affected by domestic or sexual abuse. Available 365 days a year, the Helpline can give support, help and information over the phone. WAIS also have a range of services to provide further one to one and group support. 

Our Helpline is staffed by fully trained female support workers and volunteers and all calls are confidential and free to call from the UK. Translation facilities are available for callers whose first language is not English and we have a service for callers who are deaf or hard of hearing. The Helpline is also here for family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf.

Tel: 0808 800 0340

Email: enquiries@wais.or.uk


What should I do if I suspect someone I know is experiencing domestic abuse?

Share by emailShare by email

You should report it to us on 101

Some people suffer months of domestic abuse before telling us. 

If you suspect someone is being abused you should tell. Your call could save a life.

Can I find out if my partner has ever been convicted of violent offences?

Share by emailShare by email

Yes, if you live in Nottinghamshire you can find out if your partner has a violent past through the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme – or ‘Clare’s Law’ as it’s more commonly known. 

It allows us to disclose information to you about any previous violent offending of a partner where it could help protect you from harm.

Can I find out if my relative or friend's partner has ever been convicted of violent offences?

Share by emailShare by email

Yes, the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme allows anyone who has contact with a potential victim of domestic abuse to ask us for this information. 

However, you may not be the one to receive any information released. It will only be given to those who are best placed to safeguard the person at risk.

How does the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme work?

Share by emailShare by email

The scheme works in two ways

A right to ask

This is where information is disclosed following a request from a member of the public. 

A right to know 

This is where we make a decision to disclose details when we receive information to suggest a person could be at risk. 

A disclosure will only be made when a request meets a strict set of criteria. The scheme cannot be used as a dating agency by people considering a new relationship and the person ‘at risk’ has to have been in an intimate relationship with their partner for a period of time. 

Information we release includes previous criminal convictions but may also include any relevant intelligence held about that person. 

A disclosure will only be made to the person or people who are best placed to safeguard the person at risk.

Who can request information under the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme?

Share by emailShare by email


Anyone who is concerned they could be in a relationship with a person who has been violent in the past can make an application. 

Third parties

Anyone who has contact with a potential victim - such as a parent, neighbour or friend - can also make an application under the scheme. However, they will not necessarily be the one to receive any information released. 


Agencies that come into contact with potential victims can also make an application. Again, any information released will only be given to the person who is best placed to protect the potential victim.

I have been raped or sexually assaulted. How can I report this?

Share by emailShare by email

Reporting a rape or sexual assault to us is the first step in addressing what happened and bringing the offender to justice. 

You can make a report by

  • Calling 999 if you're in immediate danger or the offence has just happened
  •  Calling 101
  • Visiting your nearest police station

What will happen if I report to you that I have been raped or sexually assaulted?

Share by emailShare by email

We have specialist rape investigation teams, made up of experienced detectives who are specially trained to support you throughout the investigation. 

Our expert investigators will explain the investigation process to you and offer continued support, as well as put you in touch with other support agencies. 

Victims of serious sexual assaults have lifetime anonymity in the public arena. 

Therefore you will not be named or photographed in any media coverage of a subsequent court case unless you choose to be.

I am experiencing domestic abuse. What should I do?

Share by emailShare by email

If you find yourself in an emergency situation, for example, if you're being subjected to physical violence, always call 999

At all other times call us on 101.

If you live in Nottinghamshire, you can call 0808 800 0340 - a 24-hour freephone helpline to talk to someone about your experiences, or to get help to leave. You can also textphone 0808 800 0341 between 9am and 5pm. 

If you're injured, it’s important to seek medical attention and tell your doctor how you got the injuries. 

This evidence can be used to support a criminal prosecution or a civil court action against the person who caused them.

How will the police help me if I report domestic abuse?

Share by emailShare by email

The decision to contact us can be a difficult one. Once you've made this decision and contacted us, we'll do everything we can to provide you with a network of support to help you and your family.

We have teams of specialist officers and staff working in Domestic Abuse Support Units who will give you help and guidance.

Our Domestic Abuse Support Units also include healthcare workers, children and family services professionals and criminal justice staff. They are joined by Independent Domestic Violence Advocates (IDVAs), who are employed by Women’s Aid to work with people at high risk of harm from partners, ex-partners or family members to secure their safety and the safety of their children.

Once you have spoken to us, we will need to carry out a risk assessment with you to agree what level of support you need and what action we need to take. We will act immediately if at any point we think you are at risk and in need of protection from harm.

If I tell you I'm experiencing domestic abuse, do you share my details with anyone else?

Share by emailShare by email

With your consent, we will pass your details to other agencies who will offer you advice and support. 

Every fortnight, we meet with other agencies at Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conferences (MARACs), which are held across Nottinghamshire. 

Here, cases where people are identified to be at a high risk are discussed and information is shared among the agencies, with the individual’s consent. 

Sharing information in this way ensures every organisation that is already working with the individual or family is aware of all the issues they are facing and an agreement can be reached on how best to support them.

If I tell you I'm experiencing domestic abuse, can you arrange for me and my family to stay somewhere safe?

Share by emailShare by email

Yes, we work with Independent Domestic Violence Advocates (IDVAs), who are employed by Women’s Aid to work with you if you are at high risk of harm from a partner, ex-partner or family member to secure your safety and the safety of your children. 

The advocate will discuss suitable options with you and make safety plans to make sure you are safe and away from potential harm. 

To do this effectively, we need your co-operation.

Subscribe to Abuse and violence