Text Size

Current Size: 100%


Report a problem with dog fouling

Share by emailShare by email

It is an offence for dog owners to allow their dogs to foul and not clean it away. If caught, dog owners could be served a £50 fixed penalty notice.

If you notice somebody allowing their dog to foul and not clearing it away, please contact your local council’s dog wardens who are best-placed to deal with the issue.

Contact your local council


Report a lost dog

Share by emailShare by email

Report your dog as lost

If you have a lost your dog, please contact your local council's dog warden service, who are responsible for recovering stray and lost dogs. They will also be able to advise if they have already found your dog.

Report your dog as stolen

You should only contact Nottinghamshire Police if you have reason to believe the dog has been stolen, rather than the dog has simply gone missing. In this case, please call the 101 non-emergency number.

Contact your council dog wardens

There is a dog in a vehicle that appears hot and distressed – what should I do?

Share by emailShare by email

This does depend on the level of distress. It is not advisable to force entry to the vehicle yourself:

Call the RSPCA

Your first step should be to call the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999 to inform them of the details namely, the condition of the dog, the registration number and location of the car.

A dog warden service may also be able to help. They should despatch an inspector/warden to deal with the situation if they can. They will then call the police if it is necessary to break into the car.

If the matter is getting near life or death

If the matter is getting near life or death for the animal, call the police directly on 101 and ask for an estimated time of arrival.

If the police don't have time to get there, you have to decide whether you should take action.

What does the law say?

The law states that you have a lawful excuse to commit damage if:

...At the time of the act or acts alleged to constitute the offence you believed that the person or persons whom you believe to be entitled to consent to the destruction of or damage to the property in question... would so consent to it if s/he...had known of the destruction or damage and its circumstances.’

Section 5(2)(a), Criminal Damage Act 1971. Note this legal reference is slightly modified for clarity

Do not break into a vehicle unless you are certain of your ground and you are prepared to defend your actions at court.

Advice for dog owners

Owners have a legal duty of care for their animals. Leaving your dog in a hot car could make them seriously ill or even kill them as a result of the intense heat in vehicles.

We recommend dog owners follow the advice on the RSCPA website for caring for dogs in warm weather.

Report being attacked or bitten by a dog

Share by emailShare by email

Any attack by a dog on a person is a criminal offence. This includes biting, bruising, significant scratching and any injury caused from falling over while being chased.

A dog behaving aggressively and causing someone to be in fear of being injured is also a criminal offence and should also be reported to the police.

How to report this

Please contact Nottinghamshire Police using the 101 non-emergency number or call 999 in an emergency if there is an immediate threat to someone’s safety.

I have hit a dog with my car. What should I do?

Share by emailShare by email

Hitting a dog is a recordable accident and must be reported, even if the dog has run off.

If you hit a dog with your car, you must report this by calling 101.

I want to microchip my pet – who should I contact?

Share by emailShare by email

Microchipping your pet gives them the best chance of being identified and returned to you if they become lost or stolen.

The law is changing

From 6 April 2016, all dogs must be microchipped and registered to an approved database by the time they are eight weeks old.

If you own a dog that is not microchipped, you could be served with a notice which will require you to microchip your pet within 21 days or you could face court action and a fine of up to £500.

Any police constable, community support officer or any person authorised in writing by the Local Authority may take possession of a dog without the consent of the keeper for the purpose of checking whether it is microchipped.

Alternatively an enforcer, such as a dog warden, may seize your dog, microchip it and register the details and then recover the cost from you.

What you need to know

What is a microchip?

A microchip is a small electronic chip, around the size of a grain of rice, which is implanted under the dog's skin and contains a unique number that can be read by a scanner.

The chip contains the dog owner's contact details, so that if the dog ever goes missing or is stolen, it can be scanned by the authorities and returned to his owner swiftly and safely.

How do I update my details if my circumstances change?

Microchipping is only effective if you keep your details up to date. If you move house or change telephone numbers, make sure that you tell the database you are registered with.

The minimum details that must be recorded are the full name and address of the keeper, current telephone number, the name, sex, breed, colour and date of birth of the dog.

How do I go about getting my dog microchipped?

If you contact your local vet, they will be able to give you all of the necessary information. Alternatively, you can visit Chip My Dog to find out where free microchipping events are taking place.

Will it hurt my dog?

No, it does not hurt the dog. Using a specially designed implanting device, the microchip is injected through a sterile needle under the dog’s skin between the shoulder blades.

No anaesthetic is required and the procedure should cause no more discomfort than a standard vaccination.

Share by emailShare by email

Advice on microchipping your pet from the Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA).

Report cruelty, neglect or abuse to a dog or other animal

Share by emailShare by email

We work with the RSCPA to investigate reports of animal cruelty in our county.

What information you will need

To report cruelty or an animal in distress, there is certain information the RSPCA will need in order to investigate.

How to report animal cruelty to the RSPCA

Call the RSCPA’s 24-hour cruelty line on 0300 1234 999 or report animal cruelty or neglect online via the RSPCA website. Calls will cost the same as any call to a UK landline number.

Council dog wardens

If the treatement relates to a dog, you can also contact your local council's dog wardens team for advice.

Report concerns about a dangerous dog

Share by emailShare by email

Every dog owner has a legal responsibility to keep their dog/s under proper control. It is a criminal offence for the owner of a dog or the person in control of the dog at the time, allow it to be dangerously out of control either in public or on private property.

By law, a dog is dangerously out of control if it causes a person to fear being harmed by the dog, even if harm or injury is not actually caused. Where injury does occur then it is an automatic aggravated offence and on conviction is open to a higher sentence by the court.

All dogs must now be micro chipped by law and owner details correctly updated.

When to contact Nottinghamshire Police

  • If a dog is dangerously out of control, has bitten a person or animal or is likely to bite.
  • If the dog is suspected to be one of four banned breeds – Pit Bull Terrier-type, Japanese Tosa, Fila Braziliero or Dogo Argentino.
  • If a person is breeding, selling, giving away or advertising for sale a banned breed of dog.
  • If a dog has been worrying livestock.

When to contact your local council:

Local authorities dog warden service deal with stray dogs and are also best placed to work with dog owners with regards to:

Dogs with children

Every year a number of incidents occur with children being bitten by a dog in the family home or at an address they are visiting as a friend etc. It is always good advice never to leave a dog and children together without adult supervision.

Children don’t always appreciate the impact their behavior can have on a dog and the response it may cause. Child safety issues are usually managed by a joint agency approach including police and local authorities etc. However where there are real concerns over the presence of a dog in a home where children are present then advice can be obtained initially from the police.

Report a dog attack or bite

If you or your dog have suffered or been bitten by a dangerously out of control dog, please follow the below advice:

Incidents involving dogs

Share by emailShare by email

Everyone is responsible for the welfare of dogs.

If you believe a dog is being neglected or abused, you have a duty of care toward the animal and should report this.

In the first instance, the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA). Alternatively, call your local district council or report this to Nottinghamshire Police on 101.

Use this checklist to find the right organisation to contact if you want to report an issue with a dog.

Nottinghamshire Police

  • Dangerous dogs
  • If you've been bitten by a dog
  • If you've hit a dog with a vehicle
  • If you suspect someone has a banned breed of dog, for example, a pitbull terrrier
  • If you want to report your dog lost

To report an issue with a dog to Nottinghamshire Police, call us on 101.

Your local council's dog warden service

  • Stray dogs
  • Lost dogs
  • Found dogs

Find out the details of your local council's dog warden service by selecting the name of your local council from the list on this page.


  • Mistreatment of dogs including abandonment, abuse and neglect

Contact the RSPCA's 24-hour cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.

Share by emailShare by email

101 is the number to call when you need to contact Nottinghamshire Police and it’s less urgent than a 999 call. Calls cost 15p, no matter how long the call lasts.

Share by emailShare by email

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) is the leading UK animal welfare charity specialising in rescue, animal welfare and preventing animal cruelty. Call their 24-hour cruelty line: 0300 1234 999.


Subscribe to Dogs