Text Size

Current Size: 100%

How will the police help me if I report domestic abuse?

Share by emailShare by email

The decision to contact us can be a difficult one. Once you've made this decision and contacted us, we'll do everything we can to provide you with a network of support to help you and your family.

We have teams of specialist officers and staff working in Domestic Abuse Support Units who will give you help and guidance.

Our Domestic Abuse Support Units also include healthcare workers, children and family services professionals and criminal justice staff. They are joined by Independent Domestic Violence Advocates (IDVAs), who are employed by Women’s Aid to work with people at high risk of harm from partners, ex-partners or family members to secure their safety and the safety of their children.

Once you have spoken to us, we will need to carry out a risk assessment with you to agree what level of support you need and what action we need to take. We will act immediately if at any point we think you are at risk and in need of protection from harm.