We'll soon have a new website - Take a look and try out our new website experience

Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Honour-based abuse: How we can help you

Share by emailShare by email

Honour-based abuse refers to crimes or incidents committed to protect or defend the honour of a family and/or community.

It can take many different forms including harassment, criminal damage, arson, sexual assault, forced marriage, kidnap and even murder. 

Forced Marriage

Cultures in which honour based abuse exists sometimes also practice forced marriage. Forced marriages exist where either one or both parties do not consent and affects both male and female victims.

What is Female Genital Mutilation?

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) involves the partial or total removal of female external genitalia or other injury to female genital organs for non-medical reasons. Despite the practice being illegal and very dangerous it still exists in the UK.

How do I report honour-based abuse to the police?

If you, or someone you know is suffering honour based abuse you can report it to us by

  • Calling 999 where life is at risk and you believe someone is in immediate danger
  • In all other circumstances, please call our non-emergency number on 101
  • Visit your nearest police station
  • Report it to your GP or your teacher  

For Professionals:

  • Report safeguarding concerns to the MASH (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub) MASH: City: 0115 876 5600, County: 0300 500 8090, email: mash.safeguarding@nottscc.gov.uk 
  • Complete a DASH form with the person of concern 
  • Call 999 where life is at risk and you believe someone is in immediate danger
  • In all other circumstances, please call our non-emergency number on 101

What will the police do?

We have a dedicated team of experienced investigators for honour based abuse cases. They will explain the investigation process to you and support you throughout it.

Your safety is paramount and they will ensure safety plans are put in place for you and any other family members who are at risk of abuse.

They can also refer you to other support agencies. These officers devote their time to helping vulnerable victims and tackling crimes committed in the name of honour. 

Clear your browser history

It's possible for someone to see the websites you’ve visited by looking through your web browser’s history. Clearing this history, and emptying the cache file of saved information, is quite straightforward.

Internet Explorer

If you’re using Internet Explorer, follow the steps below to clear your history:1. click on the Tools menu (in the row at the top of the browser)2. select Internet Options from the drop down menu; you should now be on a tab that says 'General' – if not, select 'General'; under the title, 'Temporary Internet Files'3. click on 'Delete Files'. You can also check the box that says 'delete all offline content'4. then, under 'History' click on 'Clear History'5. then click OK, at the bottom

Google Chrome

If you’re using Chrome, follow the steps below to clear your history:1. open the Chrome app2. click More Settings3. under 'Advanced' select 'Privacy' and 'Clear browsing data'4. at the top, select the dropdown under 'Clear data from the'5. choose a time period, such as past hour or past day6. select the types of information you want to remove7. click 'Clear data'


If you’re using Firefox, follow the steps below to clear your history:1. click the menu button, choose 'History', and then 'Clear Recent History'2. select how much history you want to clear: click the drop-down menu next to 'Time Range' to choose how much of your history Firefox will clear3. finally, click 'Clear Now' 

Share by emailShare by email

The project challenges domestic violence and abuse by increasing society's awareness of violent and abusive behaviour and offers support to all women experiencing domestic violence in the Broxtowe borough. 

Tel: 01773 719111

Share by emailShare by email

Karma Nirvana is a registered charity that supports victims and survivors of forced marriage and honour-based abuse.

Share by emailShare by email

Juno's 24-hour domestic and sexual violence helpline offers support to women, teenage girls and children who have been affected by domestic or sexual abuse.

Tel: 0808 800 0340 

Email: enquiries@junowomensaid.org.uk

Deaf and hearing-impaired women can access the Helpline by:

Text Relay/NGT: 18001 0808 800 0340 24 hours a day

Email: helpline@junowomensaid.org.uk daily, 9am – 9pm

Share by emailShare by email

A registered charity, based in Nottinghamshire, that has given refuge, advice and support to thousands of women and children since 1976. 

Its refuge can offer accommodation for up to seven women, with or without children. Tel: 01159 257647

Share by emailShare by email

Newark Women’s Aid provides safe accommodation, with associated support services, for women with or without children, who are living with or have experienced any form of physical, sexual, emotional, psychological or economic abuse. Tel: 01636 679687

Share by emailShare by email

This charity can find a temporary home for your pets while you are living in temporary accommodation.

Tel: 0115 934 8487 or 07971 337 264

Share by emailShare by email

You can contact the 24 hour freephone DV helpline for Nottinghamshire, which is run by WAIS (Women's Aid Integrated Services), on 0808 800 0340 - this is open 7 days a week.

Help is also available from Equation (guidance and support for men) - Tel: 0115 9605556

Share by emailShare by email

Shine aims to reduce the risks of domestic abuse and homelessness by supporting women to live independently and safely.