We'll soon have a new website - Take a look and try out our new website experience

Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Victim Information

Share by emailShare by email

Why should I report a crime?

It is important crimes are reported so Nottinghamshire Police to investigating the crime and preventing further offences.This information is used to only solve crimes, but also identify trends and patterns and help Nottinghamshire Police make an informed decision on how best to use its resources.

Further, when a crime is reported, victims will be given the opportunity of victim services support, to ensure their needs are met.

What can I expect when I report a crime?

Under the Victim’s Code, you are entitled to receive the following from police:

  • A needs assessment to help us to work out what support you need
  • Enhanced rights if you are a victim of a serious crime, a persistently targeted victim or a vulnerable or intimidated victim
  • Information on what to expect from the Criminal Justice System, (the courts)
  • A referral to an organisation which support victims of crime
  • Updates about the police investigation. For example, if a suspect is arrested, charged and has any bail conditions
  • The opportunity to make a Victim Personal Statement, where appropriate, to explain how the crime has affected you
  • Subject to permission of the court, read your Victim Personal Statement out in court or have it read out on your behalf if the defendant is found or pleads guilty
  • Updates if the suspect is to be prosecuted or not, or given an out of court disposal
  • Information about how you can seek a review of Crown Prosecution Service decisions not to prosecute, to discontinue, or offer no evidence in all proceedings
  • Information about the time, date and location and outcome of court hearings, if you are asked to give evidence in court
  • Information on the Victim Contact Scheme if the offender is sentenced to 12 months or more for certain violent or sexual offences
  • Information about Restorative Justice and how you can take part
  • The opportunity to make a complaint if you do not receive the information and services you are entitled to, and to receive a full response from the relevant service provider

For more information visit the Victim Care website.